Monday, October 29, 2012

The Pumpkin Challenge!

    This blog typically focuses on parenting or Q-ball, but one of the principles of Attachment Parenting is "strive for balance", so I thought I'd talk about one way that I meet some of my own needs for this post. To help celebrate this season and honor my husband's love of pumpkin, I decided to embark on a "pumpkin challenge" for the months of October and November. Each week I am making at least one new recipe that includes pumpkin. I love trying new recipes and exploring food blogs, so I've had a blast!
  A few real-life friends and even a blogging friend have asked me to share what I have made so far. It should be noted that while I love to cook, I cannot claim to have created many stellar recipes on my own, so these are pretty much all links to some of my favorite food blogs. But, in our household we typically avoid dairy, gluten, and sugar. And, I don't eat meat.  So, some alterations are necessary, and I've added my notes to the side. But, we also have a sweet tooth that we satisfy about twice as week...Enjoy!
  • Pumpkin Chai Latte- Forget Starbucks! Make this easy treat at home- it's even better if you make fresh whipped cream for topping!
  • Baked Pumpkin Penne- Here, I used quinoa pasta for a less-gluten and higher protein version. I used almond milk, reduced the amount of cheese, and doubled the leeks.  It honestly wasn't my favorite, but Daddy and Q-ball loved it.
  • Butternut Squash Pizza with Pumpkin Crust- I loved the creativity of this recipe! We just ate gluten this night.  I halved the amount of cheese and doubled the amount of brussel sprouts.  But, I love saucy pizza, and I think this needed more sauce. Next time I'd use a whole butternut squash- it was delicious with the sage!
  • Veggie Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce- I loved this recipe!
  • Pumpkin Cream Pie Oat Bran - I actually found this recipe in the cookbook Peas and Thank You and super loved it.  I didn't write it down before returning the book to the library, but this blog does the best job of explaining it.  The secret step she mentions it putting everything in the blender to make it really creamy.  Because of this step, I just used rolled oats instead of oat bran.  But, this blogger is right, you should check out this cookbook!
  • Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - I used almond milk. 
  • Chocolate Chip Pumpkin bread- just a standard recipe for one of my cookbooks
  • Pumpkin oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies- A recipe I made for a bake sale and saved from a previous cookie swap
  • Pumpkin Muffins- Our favorite version of this classic.  I use whole wheat flour and reduce the amount of sugar and oil.
  • Boston "Scream" Pie- I've made this recipe for four Halloweens now.  It's delicious and pretty!  Wonderful for a party.  But, not at all healthy...


Q-ball painted her pumpkin while Daddy did the carving.


Who are you looking at???

Here's what's coming up:
What are your favorite pumpkin recipes?  I'd really love to hear!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I see some great ideas here. Thanks for sharing! I love to bake with pumpkin, but have been so busy with visitors this season I haven't done as much as I'd like. Courtney at (She Always Loved) Larking shared an awesome recipe for Pumpkin Cranberry Walnut Bread and that has been my favorite autumn treat so far. I've also been doing homemade lattes with pumpkin, like you. So delish! Pumpkin spice pancakes were awesome for a weekend breakfast, too. Now to try a savory dish - some of yours sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! So many delicious recipes! I'll have to come back and try some of these soon. I've been wanting to try pumpkin in granola too, sounds amazing. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...