This Week's Foci: Movement
Interactions with Materials
- As yesterday's pictures show, Q-ball loved sorting through her materials this week. I first noticed this trend when she was playing with what turned out to be her favorite found objects this week- panty liners (don't judge me- I have to shower too!) She loved emptying the box, then then carefully placing each one on the ground like she was dealing cards.
- So, I tried to introduce materials other than panty liners- an actual deck of cards (Bible 8's, anyone?) and a basket of wooden shapes. She loved moving these objects around as well.
- Lots of use of the walking wagon again this week- she loved loading it up and circling it around and around. Also using it to push other baskets around the room.
- My question for Montessori folks or any experts in early development: Do you think that this behavior is a display for a need for order? Or, do you think that she was working to master releasing objects (i.e. learning to let go of stuff)? I'm leaning towards that later.
- Favorite materials: walking wagon, empty baskets, panty liners, blocks
Interactions with Others
- She continued to practice waving. Watching a baby learn to wave might be one of the cutest things ever.
- Still hesitant to move out of Mama-zone around others- especially if it is in the direction of her swim coach (we've been swimming for 3 weeks now.) His approach makes her whimper and use a death grip on Mama!
Interactions with Space
- Getting closer to mastering independent standing.
- She is trying to take some tentative first steps- even attempting to step up a step while supporting herself with the wall.
Interactions with Life
- We made an effort this week to ensure she had more interaction with nature- feeling grass, leaves, and dirt in her toes and hands. Even rain on her face and a crawling rolly-polly. Watching the wonder on a baby's face makes me appreciate the beauty in many of life's "normal" things.